Good afternoon friends! Finally, I have pictures of Martha. I've had her home for about a week now, finally have her on my wall and enjoying every minute of her presence. I sent her to Pennsylvania, to Van Tassel Baumann American Antiques where she was cleaned and stitched to a new acid free fabric-covered conservation mount. She was installed into a solid mohagany reproduction frame and topped off with her old original wavy glass (which is fabulous, I might add). Ruth Van Tassel was the woman who did the conservation work. She was able to tell me that Martha originated in the British Isles. The ground fabric is wool and she was stitched with wool threads which is why the colors are still so vibrant on this piece. The original frame Martha came in was not able to be repaired, but the glass was still in fine shape and since the piece was stitched wool on wool, she suggested I use the original glass. So fun! I will let the pictures of her tell her story. So sorry I'm not a great photographer. I'm so happy she came to my house to live!
Here is the information for those of you interested in having your antique sampler conserved:
Ruth Van Tassel at www.vantasselbaumann.com . I sent her pictures of Martha and she told me what she could from the pictures. She sent me information on approximately how much it would cost to conserve. I was in contact with her for several months during the time she was conserving her. Her work was very quick. Her framer took a very long time to make the frame. He actually crafted the frame itself. All in all, I thought she did an excellent and very professional job and would highly recommend her work.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!
14 comments:
Your sampler is wonderful Cathy!! Your so fortunate to own it and to have found someone that could conserve it. And even keep the glass. You have a wonderful treasure. She's beautiful.
Gorgeous sampler, Cathy! I can't believe how bright and beautiful the colors are. I'm glad to know you were happy with your conservator. She's a beauty and so lucky to live with you!
She's so gorgeous, love the colors!!!! Glad she has a happy space in your home :-).
OH MY GOSH....Martha is LOVELY. The colors are so vibrant. I'm so glad the conservation went so well. I can't wait to see her in person !!! xoxoxo
Oh Cathy, what a gorgeous, gorgeous sampler!!! You are so lucky to have such a treasure! And the glass! And to get the conservation work done on her too. Just wonderful! Now I have to drool.... lol!
Gorgeous sampler and frame. I'm glad you chose to keep the wavy glass. Enjoy!
Just stunning!
Oh my Cathy! Such a fabulous sampler, and I love the frame! You have a true treasure there. Aren't you glad you went shopping on Ebay? I hope I get to see this beauty in person someday.
Hugs to you.
Stunning, both the sampler and the conservation framing..love that wavy glass!
She is lovely! What a treasure!
What a gorgeous sampler and that frame compliments it perfectly. Such lovely colours and motifs in that sampler!!
What a gorgeous sampler !!! I think they did a great job of conservation. I hope you enjoy it for many, many years. What a beautiful sight to look at.
Stunning! I love that you were able to keep the original glass!
Hallo Cathy, I love jour blog. I have been jour follower. Tony
Post a Comment